Clive Staples Lewis
French Nocturne (Monchy-Le-Preux)
Long leagues on either hand the trenches spread
And all is still; now even this gross line
Drinks in the frosty silences divine
The pale, green moon is riding overhead.
The jaws of a sacked village, stark and grim;
Out on the ridge have swallowed up the sun,
And in one angry streak his blood has run
To left and right along the horizon dim.
There comes a buzzing plane: and now, it seems
Flies straight into the moon. Lo! where he steers
Across the pallid globe and surely nears
In that white land some harbour of dear dreams!
False mocking fancy! Once I too could dream,
Who now can only see with vulgar eye
That he’s no nearer to the moon than I
And she’s a stone that catches the sun’s beam.
What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
Clive Staples Lewis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (French Nocturne (Monchy-Le-Preux) by Clive Staples Lewis )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- जोनोमगिरि आय, Ronjoy Brahma
- When your Birthday Falls on Christmas..., Dr John Celes
- Me, Myself, Tex T Sarnie
- For to Be A Poetess, I Left My Husband, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo
- A Degree of Intensity, Daniel Brick
- Oh, This Age of Self-propaganda And Publ.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- हारिनि इयुना जोँनि आखायावनो, Ronjoy Brahma