James Weldon Johnson
From The German Of Uhland
Three students once tarried over the Rhine,
And into Frau Wirthin's turned to dine.
'Say, hostess, have you good beer and wine?
And where is that pretty daughter of thine?'
'My beer and wine is fresh and clear.
My daughter lies on her funeral bier.'
They softly tipped into the room;
She lay there in the silent gloom.
The first the white cloth gently raised,
And tearfully upon her gazed.
'If thou wert alive, O, lovely maid,
My heart at thy feet would to-day be laid!'
The second covered her face again,
And turned away with grief and pain.
'Ah, thou upon thy snow-white bier!
And I have loved thee so many a year.'
The third drew back again the veil,
And kissed the lips so cold and pale.
'I've loved thee always, I love thee to-day,
And will love thee, yes, forever and aye!'
James Weldon Johnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (From The German Of Uhland by James Weldon Johnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Tiger, William Blake
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
Poem of the Day
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave
- Chief glory, gajanan mishra
- If I Get There, Luis Estable
- That Savor Is So, Luis Estable
- No One KnowsThe Pain I Feel, Luis Estable
- The Kentucky Hangnail, Randy McClave
- Bell, Book & Candle, David Lewis Paget
- Dear baby - (Something Casual), Mitta Xinindlu