Oh, I have tried to laugh the pain away,
Let new flames brush my love-springs like a feather.
But the old fever seizes me to-day,
As sickness grips a soul in wretched weather.
I have given up myself to every urge,
With not a care of precious powers spent,
Have bared my body to the strangest scourge,
To soothe and deaden my heart's unhealing rent.
But you have torn a nerve out of my frame,
A gut that no physician can replace,
And reft my life of happiness and aim.
Oh what new purpose shall I now embrace?
What substance hold, what lovely form pursue,
When my thought burns through everything to you?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Futility by Claude McKay )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Im not her, Brianna Kimball
- LIKE AN EAGLE, Romeo Della Valle
- My eyes feel like cactus flowers, Jena Crowe
- No Escape From Hidden Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Demons, Brianna Kimball
- Multi-Tasker, douglas scotney
- Bottom Feeders, douglas scotney
- Love is Like a Painting, Paul Hartal
- Depicting Hearts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Meant To Be, Brianna Kimball