Great British Composer From The Past
Long have I wished to write a precis
on the work of the great composer
Sir Henry Walford Davies...
born and died in Britain 1869-1941.
At the moment I hear his Solemn Melody,
music for organ and strings, played in church
on special occasions and funerals of Royalty.
This great gentleman of religious music
composed songs, anthems and contatas.
His RAF March Past is ever popular.
Through his radio talks to Britons,
he encouraged interest in the Classics,
and on Edward Elgar's death, Sir Henry
was appointed Master of The King's Music.
We are so thankful for the organ music
'Classics of the Day'.
Sir Henry Walford Davies died in Bristol
where his body lies in the grounds of the
Cathedral......'It takes all kinds of music'
Joyce Hemsley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Great British Composer From The Past by Joyce Hemsley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Epitaph, Bozhidar Pangelov
- unveil, baharak barzin
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Queen Patreniallla - Part 2 Continued, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Transitory, Babbling Brookes
- Having Fun, Noah Body
- winter, Clara Keiper
- After Rudyard Kipling, Josh Mitteldorf
- The cold will come, Gianfranco Aurilio
- Boredom, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK