Ever again to breathe pure happiness,
So happy that we gave away our toy?
We smiled at nothings, needing no caress?
Have we not laughed too often since with Joy?
Have we not stolen too strange and sorrowful wrongs
For her hands' pardoning? The sun may cleanse,
And time, and starlight. Life will sing great songs,
And gods will show us pleasures more than men's.
Yet heaven looks smaller than the old doll's-home,
No nestling place is left in bluebell bloom,
And the wide arms of trees have lost their scope.
The former happiness is unreturning:
Boys' griefs are not so grievous as our yearning,
Boys have no sadness sadder than our hope.
Wilfred Owen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Happiness by Wilfred Owen )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- SAINTS AND SINNERS, Changu Chilwesa
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- ` S a c r e d..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Spring Rhyme, Luo Zhihai
- Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Goodnight, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams My Lady Fair, Michael P. McParland
- The Urinal, Doyen Lingua
- Striking Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Staying Power, Michael P. McParland
- Stars Of Love (Dreaming Of You), Michael P. McParland