Thomas Vaughan Jones
The sun shines down, the morning's fair,
till clouds come scudding by.
A whisper in the morning air,
a darkening in the sky.
The trees dance low and bow their heads
in supplicating plea,
and cattle take defensive stance
to bend the humble knee.
The wind beats air waves in the grass
and sweeps the dust in town.
The rain draws patterns on the glass
and cuts the flowers down.
Now lightning flash and thunderous roar
brings terror from the skies,
as Nature opens wide her maw
in demonic disguise.
The skies are black as darkest night,
while demons ride the gale.
Each flashing roar brings endless fright
and hearts and courage fail.
The storm is raging overhead,
while hurling Nature's blast.
and trembling creatures lie abed
until the rage is past.
When winds die down and skies are clear,
the air feels fresh and clean.
Earth wipes away the final tear,
and garbs afresh in green.
Thomas Vaughan Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Harbingers by Thomas Vaughan Jones )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- True Love Never Dies, lou parks
- Untitled VII, Sierra Staten
- The unblamenesses allay wounds, Pijush Biswas
- I Move, So I Am, Tanja Henderson
- Life Dances, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Looking Kyle In the Eyes, Kyle Schlicher
- Besten Dank für den Gruss, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Birthday poem, Wala' Qamhieh
- If you want to be my inspirer, Elius Rubby
- Being in love, Sahra Hussein