Thomas Vaughan Jones
The sun shines down, the morning's fair,
till clouds come scudding by.
A whisper in the morning air,
a darkening in the sky.
The trees dance low and bow their heads
in supplicating plea,
and cattle take defensive stance
to bend the humble knee.
The wind beats air waves in the grass
and sweeps the dust in town.
The rain draws patterns on the glass
and cuts the flowers down.
Now lightning flash and thunderous roar
brings terror from the skies,
as Nature opens wide her maw
in demonic disguise.
The skies are black as darkest night,
while demons ride the gale.
Each flashing roar brings endless fright
and hearts and courage fail.
The storm is raging overhead,
while hurling Nature's blast.
and trembling creatures lie abed
until the rage is past.
When winds die down and skies are clear,
the air feels fresh and clean.
Earth wipes away the final tear,
and garbs afresh in green.
Thomas Vaughan Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Harbingers by Thomas Vaughan Jones )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Lucy Gray, or Solitude, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- A Well-Worn Story, Dorothy Parker
Poem of the Day
- More we walked., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Goodnight Sweet Love 3, Michael P. McParland
- Undercurrent, Asma Riaz Khan
- Ballade [The goat scratches so much it c.., François Villon
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel