I Am Indebted
I am indebted
How do I bypass the burden put on me by my makers?
The chants of their toi toi are demanding my dues,
Their silence is shouting loud at my mislead being, for I have become like a restless chid,
How do I escape their torch in my dim?
How do I shake off the dust of their chanting,
As I grow taller, I realise the burden they’ve laid upon my core.
To platter my stature as I cease my appointment with their realised dream.
To body my map with their laid down subsists,
To engulf my neighbour with their flavour of forgiveness,
To unfound and remedy their enslavement’s stock,
To freely walk to glory’s sit without presenting a dompass
Amen Nkosi yami my lord, let me cast my vote today and pay my dues.
That is the least I can do after what they’ve done for me.
Thank you Madiba, Steve Biko, Hector Pieterson, Oliver Tambo, Miriam Makeba, Walter Sisulu and all the others.
You have set my path and I will walk it,
For I am indebted.
Boitumelo Oliphant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am Indebted by Boitumelo Oliphant )
- Blind, Blind, Naveed Khalid
- A ripple's life, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- What is this world of ours ماهذا العالم .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Sinners الاثمون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Touch-me-not, Naveed Khalid
- The Sword and the Plowshare, John F. McCullagh
- On the road a Recovery Poem, jeff newnham
- Sinners, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- An Image Of An Old House, Yohan Confectioner
- Autumn Equinox, Jacqueline Nash
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(3 March 1878 - 9 April 1917)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)