I Am Indebted
I am indebted
How do I bypass the burden put on me by my makers?
The chants of their toi toi are demanding my dues,
Their silence is shouting loud at my mislead being, for I have become like a restless chid,
How do I escape their torch in my dim?
How do I shake off the dust of their chanting,
As I grow taller, I realise the burden they’ve laid upon my core.
To platter my stature as I cease my appointment with their realised dream.
To body my map with their laid down subsists,
To engulf my neighbour with their flavour of forgiveness,
To unfound and remedy their enslavement’s stock,
To freely walk to glory’s sit without presenting a dompass
Amen Nkosi yami my lord, let me cast my vote today and pay my dues.
That is the least I can do after what they’ve done for me.
Thank you Madiba, Steve Biko, Hector Pieterson, Oliver Tambo, Miriam Makeba, Walter Sisulu and all the others.
You have set my path and I will walk it,
For I am indebted.
Boitumelo Oliphant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am Indebted by Boitumelo Oliphant )
- I have stood at the grave of the Hero, Bernard Kennedy
- afterlife, Marshall Gass
- Dreams Create a Beautiful World, Rohit Sapra
- The touch of a star is like the touch of.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Art of Creation, Anthony Di'anno
- Breathing slow, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Same Moon, Amber Carreon
- You and Your Self, Frank Avon
- delicious red, Mandolyn ...
- Better than that, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1927)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns