I Am Indebted
I am indebted
How do I bypass the burden put on me by my makers?
The chants of their toi toi are demanding my dues,
Their silence is shouting loud at my mislead being, for I have become like a restless chid,
How do I escape their torch in my dim?
How do I shake off the dust of their chanting,
As I grow taller, I realise the burden they’ve laid upon my core.
To platter my stature as I cease my appointment with their realised dream.
To body my map with their laid down subsists,
To engulf my neighbour with their flavour of forgiveness,
To unfound and remedy their enslavement’s stock,
To freely walk to glory’s sit without presenting a dompass
Amen Nkosi yami my lord, let me cast my vote today and pay my dues.
That is the least I can do after what they’ve done for me.
Thank you Madiba, Steve Biko, Hector Pieterson, Oliver Tambo, Miriam Makeba, Walter Sisulu and all the others.
You have set my path and I will walk it,
For I am indebted.
Boitumelo Oliphant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Am Indebted by Boitumelo Oliphant )
- Tour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ZZ Animals Flunk These 2014 Candidates, Saiom Shriver
- my pool days, lee fones
- Enough is enough, Pat Raia
- A list of the most stupid things said to.., Mae AC.
- Cherry on Top Sundries Shoppe, Steve Kittell
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Importance of compassion, gajanan mishra
- A Flower Which Dreams, Rohit Sapra
- Ways of Being Me, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Ernest Christopher Dowson
(2 August 1867 – 23 February 1900)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)