i can tend to my petty concerns
if i want to..
bask in delights of some passion sublime,
sufficiently justify sins of omission
mortal transgressions, the squander of time.
i can temper my leisure with
manifest blessings or issue a curse,
meander indefinite into the labrynth
or determine a destiny not yet rehearsed.
i can slowly devise an exotic
re enact my commitment to former design,
acquiesce unto previous forms of persuasion,
or perversely insist upon changing my mind.
i can utter a spell with specific
evoke a reality somewhat surreal,
and gracefully deign to embrace every pleasure
a body of flesh has the leisure to feel.
i can rise, if i want to, to every
or fall to the thrall of some loathesome despair.
i can out-live eternity's brief installation
or lay down my body and die
moon batchelder's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Can by moon batchelder )
- she, Surendra Negi
- Meant To Be, Mark Arvizu
- Trembling Thirst, Mantu Mahakul
- Final Truth, Mantu Mahakul
- The Sower And the Seed, George Egba
- Garden capers, Mark Heathcote
- Controlling the five senses leads one to.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Buried in my chest, Meena Mustafa
- Unlike Many, Alade Abayomi IdrisWhite
- Many Heavens, George Hunter
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)