I had a guinea golden
I had a guinea golden—
I lost it in the sand—
And tho' the sum was simple
And pounds were in the land—
Still, had it such a value
Unto my frugal eye—
That when I could not find it—
I sat me down to sigh.
I had a crimson Robin—
Who sang full many a day
But when the woods were painted,
He, too, did fly away—
Time brought me other Robins—
Their ballads were the same—
Still, for my missing Troubador
I kept the "house at hame."
I had a star in heaven—
One "Pleiad" was its name—
And when I was not heeding,
It wandered from the same.
And tho' the skies are crowded—
And all the night ashine—
I do not care about it—
Since none of them are mine.
My story has a moral—
I have a missing friend—
"Pleiad" its name, and Robin,
And guinea in the sand.
And when this mournful ditty
Accompanied with tear—
Shall meet the eye of traitor
In country far from here—
Grant that repentance solemn
May seize upon his mind—
And he no consolation
Beneath the sun may find.
Emily Dickinson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I had a guinea golden by Emily Dickinson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- JULEKALENDER # VI, Gunnar Mo.
- Reflection, Viviana Helianos
- Loveliest friend the life., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Artist, Phil Soar
- Transcending love, Viviana Helianos
- JULEKALENDER # V, Gunnar Mo.
- Those moments of weakness, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- lost, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Apps, Phil Soar
- rapture, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI