Andrew David Dalby
I stand here and go no further
'rise like lions after slumber
In unvanquished number-
Shake your chains to earth like dew
for ye are many and they are few' P. B Shelley
Brick after blood soaked brick,
Line after gnarled racked line;
I will make this world my own.
I stand upon this wind-swept beach,
My skin chiseled and spat ruddy;
Scythed by time, wind and rough salt.
My mottled hair is weathered wiry,
My glistening eyes are very wide,
Taught hard by the gods of the sea.
Upon this heavy heartfelt reflection,
I see myself, a soldier-incarnate;
Born for the taste of a bitter war
So it's here...with my red wet sword,
I scrape a long deep scar-line,
Upon this wild and writhing shore
To boldly shout out my proclamation!
How I hear death's vengeful scream,
And see its claw-like monstrous wings,
Gleaming with the sheen of wet leather.
But oh, how heartily I earnestly laugh,
At the feel of the drawing of its clasp;
And the cracking crunch of its feathers.
For in the hideous unrelenting iced hiss,
Of its truly terrible sour midnight kiss;
I mock and slice Its cold three lobed eye.
And while it screams with blistering rage,
I will hold-fast to face this foul beast;
With bold defiance I take my place to stand.
Proclaiming to every single child and man,
With phlegm flying in arcs from my mouth;
I scream I stand here and go no further!
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I stand here and go no further by Andrew David Dalby )
- Four Line Poem, Deborah Eker
- Saving The World, Ronald Chapman
- Corruption, Sandra Feldman
- Cannot Take Care, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Beautiful Story of You, Corey Jones
- AA, Vera Sidhwa
- Hell is dumb and sore throats are stupid., Jena Crowe
- 100 Years of War, Robert Green
- The Dog, Deborah Eker
- Cutting Back Government, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- gamblers all, Charles Bukowski
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Walter de la Mare
(1873 - 1958)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)