In Romney Marsh
As I went down to Dymchurch Wall,
I heard the South sing o'er the land
I saw the yellow sunlight fall
On knolls where Norman churches stand.
And ringing shrilly, taut and lithe,
Within the wind a core of sound,
The wire from Romney town to Hythe
Along its airy journey wound.
A veil of purple vapour flowed
And trailed its fringe along the Straits;
The upper air like sapphire glowed:
And roses filled Heaven's central gates.
Masts in the offing wagged their tops;
The swinging waves pealed on the shore;
The saffron beach, all diamond drops
And beads of surge, prolonged the roar.
As I came up from Dymchurch Wall,
I saw above the Downs' low crest
The crimson brands of sunset fall,
Flicker and fade from out the West.
Night sank: like flakes of silver fire
The stars in one great shower came down;
Shrill blew the wind; and shrill the wire
Rang out from Hythe to Romney town.
The darkly shining salt sea drops
Streamed as the waves clashed on the shore;
The beach, with all its organ stops
Pealing again, prolonged the roar.
John Davidson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In Romney Marsh by John Davidson )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro
- My Poetic Existence, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Safety In Dreams, Is It Poetry
- Death defies planning., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Broken vision, Lubinda Lubinda
- Two hands to kill, hasmukh amathalal
- With few bucks, hasmukh amathalal
- Nature's love and hate song, Anu Shraddha