! In the steps of Rumi 81: Grace
You see the word ‘grace’.
It’s just a word. You don’t use it,
don’t really know how to
think of it; whether it’s real,
what it does, whether you’d notice it
That’s OK. So,
are you missing anything?
Make it quick, I’m busy…
Right. Think of appetite.
That feeling in the stomach
that it’s high time. Mm, maybe
something’s going on in the kitchen;
Everything on the table looks
good enough to eat…
this pear: so perfectly ripe, the juice
running down your wrist yet
even more of it contained.
It’s almost too good to eat..
quick, stop the camera right there:
subliminally, one single frame: grace.
observed by human,
Remember it. Grace.
In some languages, the same
word for the gift of it, and
for thanks. Gracias, amigo..
Deo gratia.. that’s gifts
from God, not of God.
Or, thanks to God.
Does that matter, when it’s matter?
Beautiful, isn’t it?
Michael Shepherd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! In the steps of Rumi 81: Grace by Michael Shepherd )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Small-scale Reflections On A Great House, Ramesh Iyengar
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Toronto, J.S. Campbell
- Unread Lines of My Existence, Sierra Staten
- The Guilt Trip, David Lewis Paget
- Ambrosia, Gaby Bernier
- Music is the bliss., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Live while you live., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Man dangles without woman., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Religion is a recreation., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra