are going off.
The unwashed masses
With Oscar Mayer-
and Pabst Blue Ribbon.
You can't get
Red White Blue
Across the Land,
unwashed un white hands
dare to believe
the promise written
in Philadelphia Summer.
gone long ago.
And past Lexington.
Past Valley Forge.
And Ardennes Forest.
Past the Battle
of the Bulge.
Past the 49th Parallel.
Iraq's foul hell.
The Trumpets sound
with clarion voice.
Those unwashed masses
simply yearning to
And turn their backs
upon the blood which
Land of the Free...
What's the score?
In the end,
I think we lost
Michael Shutt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Independence Day,2014 by Michael Shutt )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Like A Needle And A Thread Did Wed (By S.., Anastasia Hunt
- snow at school, Juwon Daniel
- Be At Peace, Michael P. McParland
- Filing Bankruptcy, Susan Lacovara
- winter snow, Juwon Daniel
- Come Hold Me 3, Michael P. McParland
- Autumn, Andrea Vescovo
- I Love You Kira 6, Michael P. McParland
- sonnet 6: God of snow, Juwon Daniel
- Late Payment, Angela Wybrow