the cloak that shields the evil in the world
the veil that blinds you to your father's faults
the protection from the bad things in life that threaten to destroy
not seeing an abused dog, but a new pet.
not seeing a drugged out dad, but a chance to see your big sister again.
not knowing about the evils in the world, not even coming close to experiencing them.
a gift a child recieves, but always loses.
something precious to be cherished and protected.
what makes a child a child.
when you lose your innocence,
you see your lying, cheating, drugged out dad.
you see an empty fridge and a naked back.
you see all of the things he has always lacked.
you get hurt and torn by all of the bad.
you grow up, sometimes too early.
this is dedicated to my father, who doesnt deserve anything but always winds up my muse. =[[[
katey farmer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Innocence by katey farmer )
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
- The Peasant, kashif khan
- Insanity Of Control, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Barren Future, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Big Pharma, michael walkerjohn
- Finding Gold, douglas scotney
- My Thirst, michael walkerjohn
- Musty Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns