the cloak that shields the evil in the world
the veil that blinds you to your father's faults
the protection from the bad things in life that threaten to destroy
not seeing an abused dog, but a new pet.
not seeing a drugged out dad, but a chance to see your big sister again.
not knowing about the evils in the world, not even coming close to experiencing them.
a gift a child recieves, but always loses.
something precious to be cherished and protected.
what makes a child a child.
when you lose your innocence,
you see your lying, cheating, drugged out dad.
you see an empty fridge and a naked back.
you see all of the things he has always lacked.
you get hurt and torn by all of the bad.
you grow up, sometimes too early.
this is dedicated to my father, who doesnt deserve anything but always winds up my muse. =[[[
katey farmer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Innocence by katey farmer )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- After Love's Partition, Velvet Boots
- Pleasures Of Love, Lilly Emery
- Enchantment Of Yesterday, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Great Thugs of Indian English Poetry.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Spaniels, Diane Hine
- WE RIDE NORTH, AWAKEN!, Hibah Shabkhez
- I am the paradise, gajanan mishra
- Non-Belief and Nothing, douglas scotney
- Is poem everything?, gajanan mishra
- Universal Creed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak