Edgar Allan Poe
In Heaven a spirit doth dwell
"Whose heart-strings are a lute";
None sing so wildly well
As the angel Israfel,
And the giddy stars (so legends tell),
Ceasing their hymns, attend the spell
Of his voice, all mute.
In her highest noon,
The enamored moon
Blushes with love,
While, to listen, the red levin
(With the rapid Pleiads, even,
Which were seven,)
Pauses in Heaven.
And they say (the starry choir
And the other listening things)
That Israfeli's fire
Is owing to that lyre
By which he sits and sings-
The trembling living wire
Of those unusual strings.
But the skies that angel trod,
Where deep thoughts are a duty-
Where Love's a grown-up God-
Where the Houri glances are
Imbued with all the beauty
Which we worship in a star.
Therefore thou art not wrong,
Israfeli, who despisest
An unimpassioned song;
To thee the laurels belong,
Best bard, because the wisest!
Merrily live, and long!
The ecstasies above
With thy burning measures suit-
Thy grief, thy joy, thy hate, thy love,
With the fervor of thy lute-
Well may the stars be mute!
Yes, Heaven is thine; but this
Is a world of sweets and sours;
Our flowers are merely- flowers,
And the shadow of thy perfect bliss
Is the sunshine of ours.
If I could dwell
Hath dwelt, and he where I,
He might not sing so wildly well
A mortal melody,
While a bolder note than this might swell
From my lyre within the sky.
Edgar Allan Poe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Israfel by Edgar Allan Poe )
Did you read them?
- Ego, Leong Ming Loong
- OPGANDA/COM≡오피뷰≡ UEFA ∥강서오피대박∥▣∥종로오피∥, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- OPGANDA/COM≡오피뷰≡ UEFA ∥서초오피대박∥▣∥동대문오피∥, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- iphone6+▣오피뷰▣ 서초오피 동대문오피 논란「OPGANDA/COM」, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- Am I a cynic?, Khairul Ahsan
- Being Serenaded By Heaven, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Message To My Daughter's Grandfather., Tony Adah
- Beneath Covers Of Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My New Home, Leong Ming Loong
- Lost Sequences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love, Ocean Myranda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)