Naomi Shihab Nye
“Let’s be the same wound if we must bleed.
Let’s fight side by side, even if the enemy
is ourselves: I am yours, you are mine.”
—Tommy Olofsson, Sweden
I’m not interested in
who suffered the most.
I’m interested in
people getting over it.
Once when my father was a boy
a stone hit him on the head.
Hair would never grow there.
Our fingers found the tender spot
and its riddle: the boy who has fallen
stands up. A bucket of pears
in his mother’s doorway welcomes him home.
The pears are not crying.
Later his friend who threw the stone
says he was aiming at a bird.
And my father starts growing wings.
Each carries a tender spot:
something our lives forgot to give us.
A man builds a house and says,
“I am native now.”
A woman speaks to a tree in place
of her son. And olives come.
A child’s poem says,
“I don’t like wars,
they end up with monuments.”
He’s painting a bird with wings
wide enough to cover two roofs at once.
Why are we so monumentally slow?
Soldiers stalk a pharmacy:
big guns, little pills.
If you tilt your head just slightly
There’s a place in my brain
where hate won’t grow.
I touch its riddle: wind, and seeds.
Something pokes us as we sleep.
It’s late but everything comes next.
Naomi Shihab Nye's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jerusalem by Naomi Shihab Nye )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- Over looking choice, Jessica Dehn
- The Wine Effect, I Am Krakatoa
- Light Foot xx xxx xx Original 12 28.., Lee Mack
- changing the world, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Worrdless Man xx xxx xx Original 12 .., Lee Mack
- Not seeing sweet Sweetie is impossible!, Nyota Yasulwe
- Rollikng Six xx xxx xx Original 11 1.., Lee Mack
- Beg the Question xx xxx xx Original 1.., Lee Mack
- गोखा मोन्दांथि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mythic Implications Versus Contemporary .., Terence G. Craddock