MR DUFFY's English classes at CERMAK TECH
staged the first annual XMAS WITH THE STARS
during the third week of December 2007
I know that everyone who attended had a good
time, except maybe for MR RILEY's Industrial Arts
classes, most of whom arrived tardy and with a faint
aroma of cannabis clinging to their orange coveralls.
But MERRY XMAS to all, as both MR DUFFY and
MR RILEY said at the hearing held in the principal's
office the day we returned from XMAS break.
Let bygones be bygones as the principal said
at last week's assembly in the auditorium!
XMAS WITH THE STARS was the brainchild
of a sophomore in MR DUFFY's first period class,
CHUCK NOVAK, best known on campus for his book
of erotic poetry entitled KISS THE WORM GOODNIGHT!
Wow! is all this reporter can say! You might remember
me from the part I played - MIMI LEIBOWITZ as Juliet
opposite that hunk of a first string quarterback, MICKEY
MALLOY, who played Romeo. Wow! again from me!
You may recall seeing ESTELLE CLANCY who sashayed
around the stage in that mini-skirt of hers! Of course,
all the Industrial Arts & Shop guys loved her! Cheering
and clapping till the rafters shook! MR DUFFY paid
close attention to her shenanigans as she strutted about,
but he's just a man, of course, and we know about that!
The girls loved MONTY LAFORCE who was a real standout
in his toga as Ben Hur. Class drones included WALLY
STEVENS, PHIL LARKIN, and RICH WILBUR who played
characters in SHAKESPEARE's Midsummer Night's Dream.
Honestly, those guys looked like LARRY, CURLY and MOE
in their costumes!
More to follow in our next newsletter from CERMAK TECH -
Your Class Correspondent MIMI LEIBOWITZ
Michael Pruchnicki's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Last Semester by Michael Pruchnicki )
- hey four eyes with the square tie, Jena Crowe
- Where there respect thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
- 84 and couldn't speak English, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- Frost Chills, Cathy Hodgson
- What A Wondrous Thing, Joshua Chuhran
- Falling Doves, Joshua Chuhran
- The Simple Life, Nate Morris
- To touch a star is to be touch by the st.., Raymond Sawyer
- A Prayer For Self Identity, Maurice Harris
- throwing sticks at the stars, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)