I do not hope
That the episodes of last week
Will visit my life anymore.
I do not have a partisan congress
In my household,
Still my government went down
Into a shameful shut down.
I look at the melodrama at the top,
The top itself swallowed by
A tortuous xanadu of tenure elongation
And its vicarious agony
Of the missing Chibok girls.
I look up again like a pregnant mother
Summoning up courage to
Sum it up my expectation
Of an archetypal leadership
Hopeful in its rescue
Again hollow in my hope.
I have taken the road
That provides only for the teeming griots
And yet a worthless hope
Hovering over our own languid heads.
I look up to the torch bearing few
Their pens profused and wry of thought
But their words silent,
I look up to myself
In the middle of this month
Still expecting last month's pay check
To fly to my work table.
I look up to my children
Innocent as they are
Bearing my transgressions
Healthy as nature bestows
Hungry as society detects
There is a letter from school reading:
The fare for knowledge's journey
Into their heads is hanging.
And I am still waiting
Like a hen fo teeth.
I look up to myself now,
A near carcass to microbes
And a cannula on my arm
Me, my country and a neighboring rescue nurse.
If this is my national laurel,
I resent it a present to the inner city.
Last week i thought
On the extrication of my type
Down the the existential ladder,
From this dilemma.
This week i am still gropping
Like a blind man
In the daylight that is dark
My country continues to clutch
On the debris of this river
Like a drowning man
Struggling in a torrential flood
Still it is not an accident of geography
Or the goodwill of history
That I find myself here
So I am a citizen.
Tony Adah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Last Week by Tony Adah )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- A Winter Walk, Phil Soar
- The Heart Foretells, Patti Masterman
- Louisiana Weather (Short), Nika McGuin
- Darling Dare, katusiime jeresi
- That And This, Indira Renganathan
- Florette's Woods, Nika McGuin
- Merger, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Naat-Zaufishan Nabi Hayn, Akhtar Jawad
- Extension, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Of the old church, Emmanuel George Cefai