Dr John Celes
When every time I’ve got to fast,
My hunger pangs then seizes me,
I feel so weak and terrible,
Until I eat or drink something!
When every time I make up mind
To keep away from every sin,
The Tempter comes with new techniques,
And makes me fall in sin again!
When every time I reset life,
And repent for my sins of past,
And try to lead a perfect life,
The Tempter baits me with a snare!
When every time I talk to God,
And ask His forgiveness for sins,
And make a promise not to sin,
The Tempter goads me break accord.
When every time I walk with God,
Reminded of His unique love,
And try to keep the Heaven’s road,
The Tempter makes me go astray!
When every time I suffer fall,
The Tempter laughs and mocks at me;
’Tis God who comes to lift me up,
Consoling and comforting me!
Why then should not I follow Christ,
My Savior, who died for my sins?
He brought the earth so nigh Heaven,
Welcoming sinners who repent.
Lent time is to go nearer God;
Lenten desert gives grace to souls;
Lent makes our hearts and minds purer;
Lent affords chance to gain Heaven.
Copyright by Dr John Celes 3-3-2010
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lenten Reflections! by Dr John Celes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Carolyn Ford Witt
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
Poem of the Day
- Need To Know, Michael P. McParland
- Need, Michael P. McParland
- Where Did I go wrong, Poetic Lilly Emery
- A Universal Gift, Sandra Feldman
- The Constant Factor, Steve Kittell
- The Life Doesn't Stop for Me., Jiya Acharya
- Somewhere In Fantasy Land Hazel Icefrost, Heather Burns
- Beats of the New City., Jiya Acharya
- Somewhere In Fantasy Land A Wedding, Heather Burns
- Somewhere In Fatasy Land Bracken Elfshi.., Heather Burns