Did I lose myself while trying to be someone else?
Trying to fit into a white society,
that has constantly denied and disowned people like me.
Should I be willing to sell my soul to the overseer of death?
Only to be apart and welcomed through warm open doors,
the doors that belongs to inequality.
Building myself up on my own two feet,
nevertheless, something is keeping me.
Once out of my mother’s womb,
I could see the death of my demise kissing me goodnight
pain, sorrow, and a daily struggle each tucking me in tight.
As I matured and became what is known as a man,
understanding there is a small glimpse of hope.
Hope for a new era for the Negro,
without the help of anyone’s hand.
Comprehending you were fine all along,
you were not the one causing the wrong,
but only a victim,
of losing oneself.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Losing Yourself by A.J. Love )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- List Of Loneliness, Margaret Alice Second
- When I Was With My Father, Naveed Akram
- Sow Your Seeds, Naveed Akram
- we never cry, Cee Bea
- Recipe To Live, Asma Riaz Khan
- Mind Over Matter (Scream), Joseph Archer
- Jesus among Us, michael hagwood
- Winterpoesie, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Love the Spine, V P Mahur
- Vergißmeinnicht, Johann Joseph Clahsen