Richard Le Gallienne
Love In Spain
You shall not dare to drink this cup,
Yet fear this other I hold up-
Sings Love in Spain:
One brimming deep with woman's breath-
This other moon-lit cup is Death;
Drink one, drink twain.
No sippers we of ladies' lips,
Toyers of amorous finger tips,
Are we in Spain.
Terrible like a bright sweet sword,
And little tender is the Lord
Of Love in Spain.
His song a tiger-throated thing,-
A crouch, a cry, a frightened string;
Death the refrain.
Scarlet and lightning are its words,
There is no room in it for birds
And flowers in Spain.
A flash, and mouth is lost on mouth,
And life on life; so in the South
The cup we drain.
We do not dream and hesitate
About its brim; we fear not Fate
That love in Spain.
And ah! come hear the reason why-
There are no girls beneath the sky
Like those of Spain.
All other women scarcely seem
More than pale women in a dream
By ours of Spain.
Ah! who aright shall tell their praise,-
Their subtle, soft, imperious ways,
Their high disdain.
Golden as bars of Spanish gold,
Hot as the sun, as the moon cold,
The girls of Spain.
Their faces as magnolias white,
Their hair the soul of summer night,
Soft as soft rain;
And swift as the steel blade that flies
Into a coward's heart their eyes,
Then soft again.
Under their little languid feet,
That carry such a world of sweet,
My heart lies slain.
Girls North and South, and East and West,
But fairer far than all the rest
The girls of Spain.
Richard Le Gallienne's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love In Spain by Richard Le Gallienne )
- Thousand-Legger at Midnight, Donal Mahoney
- Suicide, Hans Raj Sharma
- Walls that never spoke before, Cee Bea
- Deep Purple II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Prayers!, Edward Kofi Louis
- I met a gentle lady, Cee Bea
- Made Openly, Edward Kofi Louis
- Story telling, Nassy Fesharaki
- affection and attraction, maharshi trivedi
- Alankar(Decor) -202, Indira Renganathan
Poem of the Day
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Bright Star, John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(3rd April 19sixty)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)