How do you teach someone to love?
They sit before you: "I don't feel the way you do".
"Of course not" you say…"you have to learn to love…
You knew it as a child and lost it like a toy, broken.
It's in you hiding behind pain, spite, bitterness.
Move out from the shadows slowly
Placing one foot in the sand and then another.
Do not expect him to be perfect
And you'll reach the shore.
Place one foot in the water, then another.
Let it hold you like a wave,
Do not expect perfection
Letting the water embrace you slowly
Look up into his eyes and see he loves you."
Robert Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love Lessons by Robert Leary )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
Poem of the Day
- Darkness, yvonne stine
- Knocking at your door, yvonne stine
- Noisy -Noisy Frog, Aftab Alam
- Prince and Saviour, yvonne stine
- يا قمرنا يا مليح, Abdullah alHemaidy
- God is faithful & True, yvonne stine
- My name, Nassy Fesharaki
- Author of space and time, yvonne stine
- I Couldn't Hold On Your Hands!, Geetha Jayakumar
- An Apple Of Love!, Geetha Jayakumar