Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Love Will Wane
When your love begins to wane,
Spare me from the cruel pain
Of all speech that tells me so -
Spare me words, for I shall know,
By the half-averted eyes,
By the breast that no more sighs
By the rapture I shall miss
From your strangely-altered kiss;
By the arms that still enfold
But have lost their clinging hold,
And, too willing, let me go,
I shall know, love, I shall know.
Bitter will the knowledge be,
Bitterer than death to me.
Yet, 'twill come to me some day,
For it is sad world's way.
Make no vows - vows cannot bind
Changing hearts of wayward mind.
Men grow weary of a bliss
Passionate and fond as this.
Love will wane. But I shall know,
If you do not tell me so.
Know it, tho' you smile and say,
That you love me more each day.
Know it by the inner sight
That forever sees aright.
Words could not but increase my woe,
And without them, I shall know.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love Will Wane by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- There is Always Just RIGHT NOW! ...and t.., Monk E. Biz
- Anything for Love (Secret Message), Ronald Chapman
- Angels At Play, Ronald Chapman
- Amazing Day, Ronald Chapman
- Mr & Mrs toad 30 sec ditty, lee fones
- A bold voice sings..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- 시 벚꽃, Ronald Chapman
- rattled 'n saddled, Mandolyn ...
- Cherry Blossom Time (Korea Regional), Ronald Chapman
- Sounds of Silence, Anita Sehgal