Rex mayor Ubini
Maya Angelou Who Now Rest In Elysium
Since my breath was tender,
Words sublime had always date my ticker.
But from a season not marked,
When one began to ferret for its seed of time,
Like a hen
Scattering sands for grain to grind,
I indulged in the whoredom of dreams groping to find,
The me of me; the reason I'm me.
The relationship began to wither
Like the leaves of plants,
Until my eyes stumble on your arts.
The eloquent tone of your prints
My ears kissed with my eyes.
And I wonder, what manner of woman is,
And was a black mother Maya.
Should one believe in the myth
Of the nine muses — Calliope, Clio,
Euterpe, Melpomene, Erato,
Terpsichore, Polyhymnia, Thalia and Urania,
The daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne,
Who preside over arts and sciences;
Perhaps, one sojourn on our planet floor,
In the form of Maya!
Who brought the gifts the Creator gave to Africa.
Your lips soothed our ears
Your dance washed the blood of slavery from our eyes
Your words healed our hearts
Your drum beat out for our freedom
Thanks to God who gave us our heroine.
Maya Angelou who now rest in elysium.
Rex mayor Ubini's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Maya Angelou Who Now Rest In Elysium by Rex mayor Ubini )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(01 January 1950)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Nature, natalie dejesus
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave
- Chief glory, gajanan mishra
- If I Get There, Luis Estable
- That Savor Is So, Luis Estable
- No One KnowsThe Pain I Feel, Luis Estable
- The Kentucky Hangnail, Randy McClave