My days tiptoed down the lonesome path of trail
you left in the hours of dusk, the twang of the
faraway guitar stopped a sudden, the tryst with you
was fixed by the sorrow, you smiled, like an empress.
I painted you, drew a love, an image thrown over the time.
You were there with lonesome days, feverish nights, sat on
lush soil, the night before you were with me in a coffee shop.
I was talking, meditating, dreaming with a poison in my blood.
A curious god came to my house and the bell is ringing
For whom the bell tolls? For whom the bell tolls?
The God is tired, he sang a song, God is dead on his feet.
Still he danced, spinning on his feet with a rhythm foretelling
future of numerous souls- they're seeking a nice niche to lie.
The god is wailing under a greenwood tree, liars who are
shouting in the parliaments did not see this God, a God
forlorn, a God whispering infinite tale, a God bleeding for
little fragile Man but you and me in the coffee shop, on
the lush green, on a paradise lost for ever had the quick
look of a dying God- for whom the bell tolls? For whom?
Aloke Mukherjee's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My days by Aloke Mukherjee )
- MY HEART SMILES TO YOU, john chizoba vincent
- When The Wind Blows, Tony Adah
- If I am just a Character, Felicia Manning
- Only if..., Ntando.B Da poet
- Patience & Acceptance, Tom Zart
- I am a stream, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
- They Are The Bamiyan Buddhas, You Fire N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mundamala Kali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- LETTER TO A MOTHER 2, john chizoba vincent
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)