My Face in the Mirror
Most days, it's just a cursory glance
-face covered in shaving cream-
the morning routine; a quick check to
make sure I didn't miss a spot- the press
of the day urging me forward- no time for
reflection, as it were.
The person inside feels the same as ever,
frozen back in the past at some indeterminate
age (maybe 18 or 20) certainly NOT
this present one.
Today, as I looked at my face,
really studied it, in the mirror,
I could see how the years had piled up.
As I looked closer I could see, in the reflected eyes,
the person inside, looking back at me with
the same level of bewilderment I was feeling-
just before we asked each other:
'Who the hell are YOU? '
Bryan Riley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Face in the Mirror by Bryan Riley )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Bending lies into your truth, Leylek D. Sovura
- Chaos on 11-12-2007, Kyle Schlicher
- Withpout A White European Wife, One Cann.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- For Instance, Everything May Be Divisibl.., G.C. Waldrep
- A Bird Is A Desperate, G.C. Waldrep
- Area Of Dog, G.C. Waldrep
- Sonnet: Has the End Come?, Dr John Celes
- Time Is The Distance, Kyle Schlicher
- What is Performance, G.C. Waldrep
- What is a Soprano, G.C. Waldrep