Neither clever nor rich
I am a simple man
and when misfortune plays its balalaika
I dance, for what else is there to do?
No, though dancing neither shortens
nor prolongs the noisome song
I, I would all days
rather dance than weep.
Truth is much like a dance.
May I have this one?
Change partners, dozy do
(pray undo this cummerbund) .
and Life, Life's a bouquet
of field flowers
artfully arranged, now undone,
now drawn to different stars.
I play no chess with Death
but poker, rather, a simpler pursuit
and more dependent, way, on luck-
so far it's worked out well,
Luck a better foil, you see,
than skill, and at chess
Death is always the winner-
nobody matches his moves.
Morgan Michaels's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Neither by Morgan Michaels )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- World of Joy, sherif monem
- JOEL OSTEEN POEM = CHILD OF GOD, Tom Zart
- Brick, Catya Prager
- A paddle, george albot
- BEFORE HIS ARRIVAL, MYK NWACHUKWU
- HAROLD'S COFFEE, Suzae Chevalier
- Bright Pink Lipstick, Electric Lady
- More Pleasing To The Eye, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Commitments, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Battle of our own life, binod bastola