Night The Fourth
Last night I prayed the Unknown God
For some Ovidian metamorphosis -
Rock, raven, touchstone,
Toad in Eve's ear
Or the abhorrent owl.
I woke this morning quite unchanged
And combed my long black hair,
Gazed in the oval mirror.
I am completely indifferent to myself.
I whom they say am beautiful
Am a dead narcissus in a pot -
"Don't water me!" "…water me…"
Peter Russell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Every night for nine nights Manuela appeared to me in a dream, and each night she spoke a poem to me. I had never seen her before and I have no idea who she was. - P.R.
Comments about this poem (Night The Fourth by Peter Russell )
- TESTIMONY OF TRUTH, Michael P. Johnson
- Pig Gig - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Nothing on earth ever hidden, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Sri Sathya Sai Sthuthimala, Subbaraman N V
- WHO'LL TAKE THE MARK?, Michael P. Johnson
- जिउनि दाइरियाव,2011, Ronjoy Brahma
- DESIGNED BY GOD, Subbaraman N V
- I am a spoil, Naveed Khalid
- Nursery rhyme - Dynosaur, S.D. TIWARI
- The darkness, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- November, Thomas Hood
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Innkeeper’s Wife, Clive Sansom
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 January 1903 - 13 March 1976)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)