THE Window has Four little Panes:
But One have I;
The Window-Panes are in its sash,—
I wonder why!
My Feet they haul me 'round the House:
They hoist me up the Stairs;
I only have to steer them and
They ride me everywheres.
Remarkable truly, is Art!
See—Elliptical wheels on a Cart!
It looks very fair
In the Picture up there;
But imagine the Ride when you start!
[Pg 58]I'd rather have fingers than Toes;
I'd rather have Ears than a Nose:
And as for my hair,
I'm glad it's all there,
I'll be awfully sad when it goes!
I wish that my Room had a floor;
I don't so much care for a Door,
But this walking around
Without touching the ground
Is getting to be quite a bore!
Gelett Burgess's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nonsense Verses by Gelett Burgess )
- Ballad on Mr. Heron's Election—No. 4, Robert Burns
- Poem on Sensibility, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The True Loyal Natives, Robert Burns
- Epitaph on John Dove, Innkeeper, Robert Burns
- The Nameless Mood of a Home-Maker, Ananta Madhavan
- Life through a colleague's eyes, Jeremy Horsford
- The Vision, Robert Burns
- Little Girl's Talk - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- The Singer, Clara Keiper
- আর কত?, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)