Nostalgia in C Minor - Circa 1940
Summer block parties, mama and papa
kicking up their heels to the tarantella-
such happy toe tapping. Signoras crowding in,
twirling their babushkas, and me so proud.
Running wild among the stalls, sampling
a pizza slice here, a pepperoni stick there.
Invented games: kick-the-can, stickball,
Red Rover, Red Rover, send over, send over -
Please, say Maria!
Charity handouts at school, out of control,
sneaking back in line for seconds.
Chocolate ice cream never tasted so good...
Mama's hand squeezing mine in the bread line.
Papa's wheezing as he waited for the truck
to take him to work at the dock,
his yellow fingers, thick as small bananas...
Mama twisting her black hair into a severe bun,
while in the parlor, old crones drone the rosary.
And overall the smell of sweet carnations.
Papa's fragile fingers,
draped by mama's rosary beads,
were white as polished ivory.
Allesandra Patti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Nostalgia in C Minor - Circa 1940 by Allesandra Patti )
- Take this, if you so desire, gajanan mishra
- Friendship Means.., Athena Hood
- G, Nassy Fesharaki
- Side, Ruta Wuneh
- Unknown, Ruta Wuneh
- Bashfulness is the ornament for a youthf.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Yours, and only mine, Maya Tod
- IQ poeam, Angry Brownbear
- Lacklustre thoughts, Angry Brownbear
- Mindless Wind, Angry Brownbear
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1841 - 1896)
William Schwenck Gilbert
(1836 - 1911)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns