Not Quite Cooked! !
Getting on, ‘you slow down’ they say,
Of course, I believe them, getting older every day.
Anyway I could I think run just as fast,
Even though my stamina didn’t quite last.
Football with my boys proves no problem at all,
Bar losing that extra yard on the ball.
The reason for this is not I’m any less strong,
It’s just that the boy’s legs are getting longer!
Yes it’s hard to admit,
That I'm really getting older and unfit.
When reality creaks in every bone,
And it echo’s in every groan.
When your body starts to feel,
That injury takes a little longer to heal.
Only conciliation is that I’m not the only one,
And not quite done.
Hopefully there is plenty of time for me yet,
Before my ‘sell-by date’! !
guy lipmore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not Quite Cooked! ! by guy lipmore )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Best Test, John Shea
- peace in the battle field..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Refueling My Soul, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God I'll Bake For You, Mr. Nobody
- Exploitation, Akhtar Jawad
- Kill not, kill not, gajanan mishra
- Too filmy, hasmukh amathalal
- What is life we know not, gajanan mishra
- Liberties, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Somebody is Shooting Our Children, Hebert Logerie