Innokenty Fedorovich Annensky
Select a dark night and in a field, unpeopled, naked,
dip into gray twilight.... May the air, having fanned, becalm,
May the stars, winking, in the cold sky slumber on....
Tell the heart not to count its thumps....
Stop in mid-step and listen! You're not alone... The wings
of a bird, heavy, sodden, drift through the fog.
Listen…. it's the flight of a predator, a sovereign avian,
They call that bird T i m e, and on its wings is your will,
A passing dream of happiness, hopes' golden rags …
Innokenty Fedorovich Annensky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Notturno by Innokenty Fedorovich Annensky )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Poem of the Day
- Open the floodgate.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- A Dream Of Death,, Luo Zhihai
- Feeling Your Spirit, Michael P. McParland
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey