Ode to a Bee
Swift bee, the gilded messenger of bliss,
Begirt with golden stars of Heaven’s span,
What draws you to the clover’s gentle kiss?
Sweet nectars, that the strongest drinker can
Carouse with dreams and dizzy waves of sleep,
Or mocks the freshest breath of summer’s clime?
Swift bee, a flame-plumed star of black and gold,
Why do you with your mouth, completely reap
The liquors that each golden bud does hold,
And lulls with somnolence the might of time?
Oh, bee, you spread the tufted pollen clouds
Like nebulae of opal stars crossways
The delicate, soft digitalis crowds,
Which passionately garner sunbeam rays
Within their coral shells. I can’t express
How much your toil’s worth to coming spring,
And how so passioned glide your wings around
The purple, gentle harebell’s loosened dress,
And make, through pretty hums, spring’s hopeful sound
Oft too profaned by your most fearsome sting!
Oh, pretty hummer! Hearty worker! Bee!
I see you roaming round the garden’s bend,
Where sweet, white daisies wreathe a canopy,
And make you but a hearty, cheerful friend.
Swift bee, the aching, swollen heart of mine
Desires comfort where pain knows no ruth
The buds hold, like rich garners golden grain,
Ambrosia of the gods, dream’s honeyed wine
So bring and let dear bee, such moisture stain
My lips and warm my heart with spring’s bright youth!
© 2014 Gleb Zavlanov
Gleb Zavlanov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode to a Bee by Gleb Zavlanov )
- Losing you, Ronnie Rox
- Autumn Parade, Joseph T. Renaldi
- SUCCESS IS LIKE LIGHT, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- The Final Feast, Smoky Hoss
- First Day Of School, Joseph T. Renaldi
- The Return, Smoky Hoss
- A poem for a poem, Nikola Pajtic
- Candlelight, Matt Mooney
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mark R Slaughter
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow