Ode To Stephen Dowling Bots, Dec'd
And did young Stephen sicken,
And did young Stephen die?
And did the sad hearts thicken,
And did the mourners cry?
No; such was not the fate of
Young Stephen Dowling Bots;
Though sad hearts round him thickened,
'Twas not from sickness' shots.
No whooping-cough did rack his frame,
Nor measles drear, with spots;
Not these impaired the sacred name
Of Stephen Dowling Bots.
Despised love struck not with woe
That head of curly knots,
Nor stomach troubles laid him low,
Young Stephen Dowling Bots.
O no. Then list with tearful eye,
Whilst I his fate do tell.
His soul did from this cold world fly,
By falling down a well.
They got him out and emptied him;
Alas it was too late;
His spirit was gone for to sport aloft
In the realms of the good and great.
Mark Twain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ode To Stephen Dowling Bots, Dec'd by Mark Twain )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- i'm homesick for you, Mandolyn Davidson
- Spread Love Like VD?, LUVinThe NOW
- The Revelation Of The Brahman, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Lord, Lord, Jared Hirsch
- My Satan, Jared Hirsch
- Shakespeare, Nassy Fesharaki
- Blood of Gaza, Akhtar Jawad
- Small is no less than the big, Dr.Rajendra Tela,Nirantar
- Seed of Lemuria, Cynthia McCoy
- Storm, RandomPoet Anonymous