Of Beauty and Duty
TWO ladies to the summit of my mind
Have clomb, to hold an argument of love.
The one has wisdom with her from above,
For every noblest virtue well designed:
The other, beauty's tempting power refined
And the high charm of perfect grace approve:
And I, as my sweet Master's will doth move,
At feet of both their favors am reclined.
Beauty and Duty in my soul keep strife,
At question if the heart such course can take
And 'twixt the two ladies hold its love complete.
The fount of gentle speech yields answer meet,
That Beauty may be loved for gladness sake,
And Duty in the lofty ends of life
Dante Alighieri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Of Beauty and Duty by Dante Alighieri )
- LIFE IS CLOUDY, BUT THERE WILL BE NO RAINS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Qytetit tim, skender iljaz braka
- While my eyes delight at you, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Celestial String of Pearls, Harley White
- Feeling, Anne Rub.
- Lost amid his Laughter, Aftab Alam
- DIFFERENT VOICES AND SOUNDS ANYTIME AND .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- COPLA 93 INVOCATION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Fake Love, Anne Rub.
- DIFFERENT VOICES AND SOUNDS ANYTIME, MOHAMMAD SKATI