On Reading Poems Of Robert Service
I could hear the huskies howling in the dazzling Artic snow
Where Jack London wrote his stories many, many years ago
I could see those rugged mountains in the grip of Winter cold
In the days when the prospectors risked their health and lives for gold.
And as i read on through the pages i could picture myself there
Up by the Mackenzie mountains in the frozen Artic air
And as i read on through the pages i could picture history
In the days when Robert Service was Cremating Sam Mcgee.
I could see why Robert Service was the Klondike's greatest poet
For he truly lived his verses he lived every verse he wrote
He had humour, he had pathos, he had laughter, he had pain
In the hard days in the Yukon when men risked their all for gain.
I have been up in the Yukon been there in the gold rush time
Robert Service took me to there in his memorable rhyme
I have seen 'The Cremation Of Sam Mcgee', 'The Shooting Of Dan Mcgrew'
And for my visit to the Yukon, Robert Service i thank you.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Reading Poems Of Robert Service by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
Poem of the Day
- Marching On, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rum, crumbs!, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Point It Out To You, Edward Kofi Louis
- elephant selfie, lee fones
- You Are Very Beautiful II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Winter and Christmas, Rimni chakravarty
- - Μουγγό σκυλί (Greek poem), Giorgio A. V.
- Say You Are One of Them, Aysha Ananse
- Astonished, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Love It So, Edward Kofi Louis