Anna Laetitia Barbauld
On the Expected General Rising of The French Nation, In 1792.
Rise, mighty nation, in thy strength,
And deal thy dreadful vengeance round;
Let thy great spirit, roused at length,
Strike hordes of despots to the ground!
Devoted land! thy mangled breast
Eager the royal vultures tear;
By friends betrayed, by foes opprest,—
And Virtue struggles with Despair.
The tocsin sounds! arise, arise!
Stern o'er each breast let Country reign;
Nor virgin's plighted hand nor sighs
Must now the ardent youth detain:
Nor must the hind who tills thy soil
The ripened vintage stay to press,
Till Rapture crown the flowing bowl,
And Freedom boast of full success.
Briareus-like extend thy hands,
That every hand may crush a foe;
In millions pour thy generous bands,
And end a warfare by a blow!
Then wash with sad repentant tears
Each deed that clouds thy glory's page;
Each phrensied start impelled by fears,
Each transient burst of headlong rage:
Then fold in thy relenting arms
Thy wretched outcasts where they roam;
From pining want and war's alarms,
O call the child of misery home!
Then build the tomb—O not alone
Of him who bled in Freedom's cause;
With equal eye the martyr own
Of faith revered and ancient laws.
Then be thy tide of glory staid;
Then be thy conquering banners furled;
Obey the laws thyself hast made,
And rise the model of the world!
Anna Laetitia Barbauld's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On the Expected General Rising of The French Nation, In 1792. by Anna Laetitia Barbauld )
- Fall down, lonely, zheung kyuhkoh
- Mission: Fission Or Fusion, Aftab Alam
- My broken heart Transcends, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Red face, Emmanuel George Cefai
- There be a whole civilization, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Flag of Civilization, Emmanuel George Cefai
- United in flying, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Poet Seer in parable., Emmanuel George Cefai
- There was a Poet Seer and the people gat.., Emmanuel George Cefai
- We are meant, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- ' Emeralds And Black Diamon.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- ' In This Autumn Of The Yea.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
(A Collection of Select Works...)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)