On this green hillside...
On this green hillside do I gaze
At clouds still, sweet, and soft,
And many a tree that gently sways
And birds that soar aloft!
I hear the lambkin's soothing bleat,
The hedgerow's rural rustle -
April's repeated avian tweet,
Far from the hustle bustle
Of overcrowded noisy towns
And hectic urban feet
Belonging to clock-beleaguered clowns
That rush from street to street.
How nice it is to sit and dream
Beneath an azure sky
Beside a clear fast-flowing stream
Watching the world go by!
(Branton, Northumberland; Tuesday,4th April,2006.)
David Mitchell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On this green hillside... by David Mitchell )
- Leaves in Colors, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Never Give Up, Lilly Emery
- sterilization process of our modern system, Anthony Cavuoti
- Kopje onder, Madrason writer
- five past three, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Trapdoor, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Gans Veer, Madrason writer
- Be What You Are, Lilly Emery
- The abrupt end., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Native land., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns