One Lie Leads To Another Lie
By so called reputable people we so often are misled
And one lie leads to another lie as we often have heard said
And to cover up for one lie another lie you must tell
'Tis a thorny path to heaven but an easy path to hell.
One lie leads to another lie that always is the case
Your first lie for deception and your second to save face
And when you are faced with the truth the truth you will deny
And to lie to you comes easy so you tell another lie.
One lie leads to another lie if what you say is untrue
Then another lie you must tell and your lies won't stop at two
But the truth of guilt will free you though the truth can be hard to speak
And to lie is always easy and 'tis easy to be weak.
Look at ex President Bill Clinton to millions of people he lied
When his affair with Monica Lewinsky in public he denied
Had he told the truth in the first place of guilt he would have set himself free
But he took for him the easy option and he lied quite easily.
One lie leads to another lie and to more lies that will lead
And to cover for the lies you've already told a good memory you need
And though the truth at times is hard to speak the truth will serve you best
For the truth will always ring true in a lie detector test.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Lie Leads To Another Lie by Francis Duggan )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.