IT should be yours, if I could build
The quaint old dwelling I desire,
With books and pictures bravely filled
And chairs beside an open fire,
White-panelled rooms with candles lit-
I lie awake to think of it!
A dial for the sunny hours,
A garden of old-fashioned flowers-
Say marigolds and lavender
And mignonette and fever-few,
And Judas-tree and maidenhair
And candytuft and thyme and rue-
All these for you to wander in.
A Chinese carp (called Mandarin)
Waving a sluggish silver fin
Deep in the moat: so tame he comes
To lip your fingers offering crumbs.
Tall chimneys, like long listening ears,
White shutters, ivy green and thick,
And walls of ruddy Tudor brick
Grown mellow with the passing years.
And windows with small leaded panes,
Broad window-seats for when it rains;
A big blue bowl of pot pourri
And-yes, a Spanish chestnut tree
To coin the autumn's minted gold.
A summer house for drinking tea-
All these (just think!) for you and me.
A staircase of the old black wood
Cut in the days of Robin Hood,
And banisters worn smooth as glass
Down which your hand will lightly pass;
A piano with pale yellow keys
For wistful twilight melodies,
And dusty bottles in a bin-
All these for you to revel in!
But when? Ah well, until that time
We'll habit in this house of rhyme.
Christopher Morley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our House by Christopher Morley )
- Future Quality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- An Idea, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Emotional Prose, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Sonnet, Sheehan Patrick Augustine
- Another Reflective Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Kitten, Hanh Chau
- Thought Pebbles, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ever more, Cee Bea
- Fantasy's Tidal Wave, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Staying Power, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Heather Burns