Our New Carpet's The Colour Of...
a rainbow slurry, but not the cleaved white of rainbow light; it's
a charcoal and goethite rainbow; a Pleistocene pigment pit;
an ochre shindig greased on a rock ceiling. Bog ore brown say;
possibly snuffsnot. We chose brown so it wouldn't show tea slops.
Nat can't knit without a pattern or play without sheet music
or assemble flat-packed furniture without instructions. She
can cook without a recipe but only to please herself.
Keith ate a kipper. Descaled, gutted, smoked, tinned and masticated,
he thought it was dead. Later when he leant it leapt, still fresh!
He swallowed to quash the herring's dissent. It will swim again.
All winter Cracticus Magpie croons ‘Come September'. Each Spring
he sings his defence as persuasively as Caractacus.
He'd like to split my skull to extract the word which skulks inside.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our New Carpet's The Colour Of... by Diane Hine )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Liliana EL.
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Heart's In The Highlands, Robert Burns
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Chaos Call, Arik Fletcher
- upon new year's, Ivana Valasik
- Double Jeopardy, David Lewis Paget
- Mining artwork narratives from Sydney Bi.., Danny Draper
- I want to change the language, Danny Draper
- Conference confinement, Danny Draper
- Lunch in the Art Gallery of NSW members .., Danny Draper
- Vulnerability, Valsa George
- Arbitrary (an acronym for beaurocracy), Danny Draper
- The Great Avarice Belief, Danny Draper