Plant a Seed
Can you smell all these different styles?
Let’s pick a spot, claim it our own.
Our flowers aren’t fed by the sun and rain,
They’re not planted in fertile soil immediately.
The process of gaining fertile soil is a slow one,
But I can assure you, the flower’s bloom is worth the wait.
We begin in our minds and let ideas fly for awhile,
Okay, now catch one quick before it migrates!
You’ve got it! Aye, it’s a small one; you’ve got to expand it,
Nurture it and structure it and smile as it grows.
Now we wait, but the work’s not done,
You must feed it metaphors, nouns, adjectives.
Don’t forget similes, verbs and conjunctions either.
Do you see that green shoot about one inch high?
It’s growing and maturing as time goes by.
I’ll begin to do likewise, then pick it for you,
As I’ve done all that possible for one to do.
I pray to the big man in the sky,
That you’ll like my sweet scent, and together we’ll fly.
Naomi Hamilton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Plant a Seed by Naomi Hamilton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- दिनैनि हराव नांगोलनि जांख्रा, Ronjoy Brahma
- मशाल जलती रहती है..mashaal, hasmukh amathalal
- Beautiful Appearance III, Seyi Rufus Oluwadare
- NIGHT PRAYER, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Broken Promises, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Life Mislaid, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- आयै नोँ आंनि, Ronjoy Brahma
- The scarlet soldier, PRIYANKA BHANDARKAR
- Near Your Heart, Neela Nath
- Digital Creationism, Brian Johnston