Joseph James Breunig 3rd
Poem: Empty Places
What is the full depth of my inner soul?
How far does it fall short of infinity,
given the known limits of my being human?
Can all of the crevices, cracks, fissures,
scissures and abyss of the empty places
in my soul be filled when I desire Your Presence
to consume every void of my existence?
While complaining, gossiping, and rage
can grieve Your Holy Spirit, I’m only posing
these questions… to expand my understanding.
I’m thankful that You will never run out
of forgiveness, patience, love and grace.
Walking blind in the carnality of the flesh
will keep me as a pathetic, miserable Christian.
As one of Your sons, I’ve embraced Your principles
while striving towards my spiritual maturity.
On many occasions, I’ve tasted small portions
of Your eternal Peace, Joy and Righteousness.
Continue to gently lead me by Your Holy Spirit,
so that the empty places… have no sway over me.
Loosely based on:
Eph 3: 16-19,4: 30-31; 1 Thes 5: 19; John 14: 23;
Rom 8: 8-14; Deu 10: 13
By Joseph J. Breunig 3rd, © 2014, All rights reserved.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem: Empty Places by Joseph James Breunig 3rd )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Small-scale Reflections On A Great House, Ramesh Iyengar
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Toronto, J.S. Campbell
- Unread Lines of My Existence, Sierra Staten
- The Guilt Trip, David Lewis Paget
- Ambrosia, Gaby Bernier
- Music is the bliss., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Live while you live., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Man dangles without woman., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Religion is a recreation., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra
- Many Types of Pain, Christina Seyoum