Pride Comes Before A Fall
The great one does not last a champion in his prime
He lost to a younger man with some help from father time
The years had left him slow time takes care of us all
He defended his pride but pride comes before a fall.
And even what a difference five or six years can make
To keep on keeping on for him a big mistake
He should have called it quits a couple of years ago
For the money he kept going though the years had left him slow.
Once feted and admired but that was in the past
And he too had his day and nothing ever last
He went down rather tame to one that he once would beat
And for one proud as he there is no pride in defeat.
The beaten one this time he has called it a day
Though perhaps six years ago he should have given his game away
But his pride kept him going wisdom never was his friend
And his glory day for him one might say at an end.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pride Comes Before A Fall by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Did you read them?
- Keeping Things Whole, Mark Strand
- ONLY IN SUMMERTIME, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Funny World!, Somanathan Iyer
- I Lived A Lifetime With You, Asma Riaz Khan
- I Had Been a Polar Explorer, Mark Strand
- The Midnight Club, Mark Strand
- Drugs And Alcohol, Michael McParland
- The Couple, Mark Strand
- Dagger, Michael McParland
- This Worthless Beast, Michael McParland