Proud To Be Puerto Rican
Our island is known as the island of enchantment
Of men and women who fight to be free.
Our roots are deep, our foundation is strong
This is our heritage and with others we’ll get along
But don’t try to step on our dignity or put us down
We are not a doormat that you can put to the ground.
Many of us are nuyoricans Bronx born
We will not be looked down upon or be scorned.
We are from an island, not a large nation
But we have seen enough of burnt out buildings and devastation
From the ashes we will rise like the tallest of trees
With our roots planted deep into the ground
And wherever you go we’ll be found.
We are spreading our wings like a bird in flight
Showing our strength, showing our might
You’ll hear our music, you’ll see our dance
You’ll feel the sensation of romance.
We are PUERTO and NUYORICANS
And a better life we are seeking.
We have overcome hate, oppression depression
And recession, and fear, and are still here amongst our tears.
The DAILY NEWS, NEW YORK TIMES, and the NEW YORK POST
Were the ones who discriminated the most?
Any Hispanic who was caught committing a crime
Was classified as a Puerto Rican
And this injustice we are seeking.
MIGUEL PINERO did drugs and some time
And had a criminal mind, but he was a poet
Playwright and actor too.
He opened the doors for me and you.
So it is time my brothers and sisters to get off your asses
And show that we are here to stay
And our minds and souls, they can’t take away.
© L. RAMS
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Proud To Be Puerto Rican by louis rams )
- Love inspired meetings inspire, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Autumn, Deborah Kelley
- Fear of God?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Keep On Groovin', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Benefits For Them Do Not Exist, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Come close, hasmukh amathalal
- Cows caught, gajanan mishra
- Discovering God's Will, Tom Zart
- Shining later, hasmukh amathalal
- Memory, Liffy Liu
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)