The witch that came (the withered hag)
To wash the steps with pail and rag
Was once the beauty Abishag,
The picture pride of Hollywood.
Too many fall from great and good
For you to doubt the likelihood.
Die early and avoid the fate.
Or if predestined to die late,
Make up your mind to die in state.
Make the whole stock exchange your own!
If need be occupy a throne,
Where nobody can call you crone.
Some have relied on what they knew,
Others on being simply true.
What worked for them might work for you.
No memory of having starred
Atones for later disregard
Or keeps the end from being hard.
Better to go down dignified
With boughten friendship at your side
Than none at all. Provide, provide!
Robert Frost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Provide, Provide by Robert Frost )
Did you read them?
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ광교오피녀 ⓑ사당오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- L.Messi 오피뷰 광교오피 KTwiz 사당오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- Fruit Cocktail in Light Syrup, Amy Gerstler
- Racism, Kenneth Maswabi
- Idling mind., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Using Both Sides Of A Brain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- hakuna matata, Luv Artem
- Silent Horizons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Continuing Inspiration, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A.Blok, Three letters - 1- translation (.., Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- November, Thomas Hood
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Letter from Italy, Joseph Addison
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 January 1820 – 28 May 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)