"I have been a stranger in a strange land"
It wasn't bliss. What was bliss
but the ordinary life? She'd spend hours
in patter, moving through whole days
touching, sniffing, tasting . . . exquisite
housekeeping in a charmed world.
And yet there was always
more of the same, all that happiness,
the aimless Being There.
So she wandered for a while, bush to arbor,
lingered to look through a pond's restive mirror.
He was off cataloging the universe, probably,
pretending he could organize
what was clearly someone else's chaos.
That's when she found the tree,
the dark, crabbed branches
bearing up such speechless bounty,
she knew without being told
this was forbidden. It wasn't
a question of ownership—
who could lay claim to
such maddening perfection?
And there was no voice in her head,
no whispered intelligence lurking
in the leaves—just an ache that grew
until she knew she'd already lost everything
except desire, the red heft of it
warming her outstretched palm.
Rita Dove's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ("I have been a stranger in a strange land" by Rita Dove )
- Rising of a New Day Through Shine, Rohit Sapra
- Sad Cloud, ramesh rai
- I am carnival, Havilah
- Creative Musical Juces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Finally Found Our Home, Michael McParland
- Distance doesn't matter, Antonio Liao
- Moisture, Chideraza Lowell
- Bharatheeyakavitha, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Not A Sound, Tango Tango
- - People? - (Haiku), Joe Muschaweck
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)