"I have been a stranger in a strange land"
It wasn't bliss. What was bliss
but the ordinary life? She'd spend hours
in patter, moving through whole days
touching, sniffing, tasting . . . exquisite
housekeeping in a charmed world.
And yet there was always
more of the same, all that happiness,
the aimless Being There.
So she wandered for a while, bush to arbor,
lingered to look through a pond's restive mirror.
He was off cataloging the universe, probably,
pretending he could organize
what was clearly someone else's chaos.
That's when she found the tree,
the dark, crabbed branches
bearing up such speechless bounty,
she knew without being told
this was forbidden. It wasn't
a question of ownership—
who could lay claim to
such maddening perfection?
And there was no voice in her head,
no whispered intelligence lurking
in the leaves—just an ache that grew
until she knew she'd already lost everything
except desire, the red heft of it
warming her outstretched palm.
Rita Dove's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ("I have been a stranger in a strange land" by Rita Dove )
- Better tomorow, hasmukh amathalal
- Lost the fragrance, ramesh rai
- Little House Upon A Hill (Silence & Will), Dylan Attard
- I'm Not Tired (Before I Fade), Dylan Attard
- AS THE MANGALYAN 14 WOOS THE MARS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- Violence will always Beget more Violence, Hebert Logerie
- Pluis de muis, Madrason writer
- Digging well, gajanan mishra
- The father... dominating figure, hasmukh amathalal
- Fading Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)