At the midnight in the silence of the sleep-time,
When you set your fancies free,
Will they pass to where--by death, fools think, imprisoned--
Low he lies who once so loved you, whom you loved so,
Oh to love so, be so loved, yet so mistaken!
What had I on earth to do
With the slothful, with the mawkish, the unmanly?
Like the aimless, helpless, hopeless, did I drivel
One who never turned his back but marched breast forward,
Never doubted clouds would break,
Never dreamed, though right were worsted, wrong would triumph,
Held we fall to rise, are baffled to fight better,
Sleep to wake.
No, at noonday in the bustle of man's work-time
Greet the unseen with a cheer!
Bid him forward, breast and back as either should be,
"Strive and thrive!" cry "Speed,--fight on, fare ever
There as here!"
Robert Browning's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Epilogue by Robert Browning )
(1644 - 1694)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Elinor Morton Wylie
(7 September 1885 – 16 December 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Pictures Of Fame, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Vaders gaan niet dood, Madrason writer
- Desires Finding Their Places, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Joyful Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Last Horizon, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- i want to weigh the moon with you, Mandolyn ...
- Italian Birthday Poem, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God's Most Published Poet, Tom Zart
- Fruitless love, Nero CaroZiv
- Misunderstood, Madrason writer