Requiem for The Thousandth Man
The thousandth man he stood my side,
When the world did fault against me.
With daunted breadth, he stood with pride,
Whilst others cursed and judged me.
This valiant man he stood my side,
With twice the strength of t’others;
I sought him all but half my days,
Much closer to me than a brother.
The thousandth man he sailed the storm
Through hail and wind and high water.
A life of chance he’d sink or swim
A Devil’s risk he hadn’t oughter
Now I found him and he found me
So the rest o’em don’t matter
But him for me or me for him
Only the thousandth man does matter.
From the thousandth man, no need to hide
Your sorrows, your crying or your feelings.
Unlike the others, he’ll stand your side
No matter his heart or shame of dealings;
I spent his money, he used my cash,
He borrowed mine for spending.
He took from me, I took from him,
T’was no shame in all our lending.
The Thousandth man he stood my side
When the reaper with scythe came calling.
He stood a front, and took my death
With the reaper, my name a calling.
I stand here now for that thousandth man
Who stood my side, in life and after.
This Valiant man, the thousandth man
Lives on in life ever after.
James Asher's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Requiem for The Thousandth Man by James Asher )
- TWO LOVERS ON A PORCH IN THE MIDWEST, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- See and feel, gajanan mishra
- Am i here by virtue of the shadows, cristobal Benjumea
- SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SUN, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- I am always with you, gajanan mishra
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- You cannot go, gajanan mishra
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)