Rites Of The Seventh Month
Monument of July,
The pluvial chapter of life...
O July of enfeebled yolk,
Dispenser of splendour of sempervirence,
God has watered your tongue.
Therefore, pour, July, pour
The essence of life,
The grit of living
Unto the bosom of the
Seventh month and other
Months of parturition.
Let us conceive in July,
To bear in good season,
Sons of courage...
Wearing festal garments
And adorning our heads with sepia cloths,
This shall reinforce hope.
In front of the monument of July,
(A slouching image of sleepy rain)
Right on its wet feet,
Shall we bless the earth abundantly.
Bearer of thirty-one offspring,
Male and female, dew and fog,
So full of grains of years,
Frenzied and dancing your rites
Together with the age of insistent youth!
Middle age is when neither youth nor old age
Finds you worthy...
The perception of the pristine green
Aroma of July
Is often the first of the rites
Of the seventh month.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
Comments about this poem (Rites Of The Seventh Month by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- Resignation, Jeff Gangwer
- PH: Nature: Canoeing The Mississippi #7, Brian Johnston
- Why Did You, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Lost Shores, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- "Be careful...", Jeff Gangwer
- Ten Million Colors, Jeff Gangwer
- missing you, matthew blankenship
- Never your Sun, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Jacky Tiger, Afshan Fatima
- It Gets Better, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)